Getting crafty is one of our favorite things to do and while we’ve had Earth Day on our mind (coming upon April 22nd!), we thought we would share a little DIY where you can reuse some scraps you might have laying around to make a super cute one-of-a-kind Everyday Bag!
What you need:
• 9.5″ x 11″ piece of scrap canvas, folded in half. We used an old piece of drop cloth and love the light green paint left over from our last project!
• Black Sharpie
• Yarn needle
• 6′ of yarn. This hot pink color from the kids section of our local craft store is our current favorite
• (2) 24″ strips of strap material. Our strap is a vintage treasure from a street market in Peru. Anything sturdy will do, get creative and pick something fun you love!
1) With the canvas folded in half, and the fold on the bottom (this will be the front of the bag) use the Sharpie to mark out your favorite saying and fill it in. We sketched ours out in pencil first to make sure it fit and we liked the layout.
2) Thread the needle with 2′ of yarn. Starting at the top and working down use a blanket stitch (here is an easy tutorial if you haven’t used this stitch before http://www.wikihow.com/Sew-Blanket-Stitch) to sew the sides together. At the bottom of the bag tie off the yarn and leave the excess to form the tassel. Repeat on the opposite site.
3) Using a straight stitch attach the handles (one on the front, one on the back) to the bag with the remaining yarn.
That is it!! Super easy and it makes the cutest one-of-a-kind bag!