Here at Natural Life, it’s no secret that we LOVE sweet treats so we’re celebrating National Donut Day the best way we know how… by eating lots of donuts, of course! We swapped out some ingredients for healthier alternatives and even made a batch for our gluten free friends here in the office. Go ahead and give these recipes a go… they’re both DELISH! I mean, what could be better than Donut Friday?
Coconut Flour (Gluten Free) Donuts
(Inspired by http://tastykitchen.com/blog/2013/08/coconut-flour-cake-donuts/)
Servings: 12 donuts
- ½ cup Coconut Oil
- ½ cup Raw Honey
- 6 whole Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ¾ cup Coconut Flour
- ¾ teaspoon Baking Soda
FOR THE TOPPING:
- ½ cups Chocolate Chips
- 1 Tablespoon Coconut Oil
1.Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Melt the coconut oil in the microwave for a few seconds until liquid form. Heat the honey in the microwave for 20 seconds until it’s in liquid form.
2. Blend the eggs and honey together in a blender. Add the melted coconut oil and vanilla extract.
3. Sift the coconut flour and baking soda into the egg mixture and mix until well blended.
4. Using a spoon, spoon the batter into the circles of a well-greased donut pan. (I used 2 6-circle donut pans.)
5. Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Once cooled, remove donuts from the donut pan.
6. For the topping, melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil together. Dip each donut into the chocolate and set onto a tray lined with parchment paper. Place donuts into the fridge for the chocolate to harden. Enjoy!
Servings: 12 Donuts
- 1 medium zucchini, grated
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1¼ cups almond milk
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- Coconut oil
- Chocolate chips
- Heat your oven to 350 degrees and spray or butter a 6 cavity donut pan.
- In a medium bowl combine all the dry ingredients and grated zucchini.
- In a small bowl whisk together the milk, melted coconut oil and eggs.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet. Using a rubber spatula combine well, making sure to scrape down the sides and bottom.
- Pour the batter into the prepared donut pan, filling about ¾ of the way up. If using chocolate chips, place in the donuts once poured into the pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes and let cool in the pan before removing to a cooling rack.Make sure to grease the pan again before repeating with remaining batter as it does stick a bit.
- Let cool donuts cool completely before topping.
- For the topping, melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil together. Dip each donut into the chocolate and set onto a tray lined with parchment paper. Place donuts into the fridge for the chocolate to harden. Enjoy!